Thursday, June 23, 2011

Circa 1975...


A visit from the past... I must have knotted this piece around 1975 with either Conso Natural or Macraworld Natural Nylon #18. I was still making traditional macrame jewelry.

It came back for minor repairs, plus an extension. Some of the paper thin shell heishis got broken overtime and needed replacing. C-Lon Bead Cord Wheat worked well for the repair as it is the closest color to the Natural circa 1975. I added a few light colored gemstone leaves at the end of the extender as I do not have anymore of these shells in stock.

The collectors were concerned with the neckpiece became a bit stiff over time. I gave the piece a nice wash. I use shampoo and a toothbrush to clean the surface, rinse with lukewarm running water and blot dry with a towel. Let dry overnight. The nylon became nice and soft again. Now I better ship it back. They have been patiently waiting!

4 comments:

Laura Young said...

How beautiful! Wish I would have known you needed some shells like that--I believe I have some! And thank you for the report on how it's doing standing the test of time. So do you think shampoo would work well in most cases? That would be a good suggestion for customers if it does. What about for silk?

Marion Hunziker-Larsen said...

Shampoo works well for silk and nylon. It is softer than soap or detergents and it rinses well.

Merissa Revestir said...

This is amazing and gorgeous!

Macradabra said...

excellent job!